Aaloo vadian. Spicy simple and super
2 Medium potatoes
... 2 Medium tomatoes
½ Cup of broken urad dal wadiyan
2 Medium size onions
½ Teaspoon cumin seeds
2 Teaspoons coriander powder
½ Teaspoon red chili powder
½ Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Pinch of asafetida (Hing)
2 Tablespoons plain yogurt (optional)
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons chopped coriander
salt to your taste
1. Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into ½” pieces
2. Gently break the urad dal wadiyan into small pieces by hitting them with a rolling pin
3. In a nonstick frying pan heat 1 tablespoon oil, add wadi pieces and sauté them for
4 to 5 minutes or until they become brown. Then take them out from the pan and
keep aside in the plate.
4. Use a food chopper or blender to mince the onions. Puree should be coarse.
5. On high heat add 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan wadiyan were fried add
cumin seeds and asafetida and fry for 2 minutes or until cumin seeds become brown
6. Add minced onions and sauté them while periodically stirring. Onions will have a lot of water so for the first 8 to 10 minutes keep the heat high so that all the onion water evaporates quickly.
7. While onions fry add the tomatoes to the same food chopper or blender and puree.
8. Once the onion water has evaporated turn the heat down to medium and let the
onions fry for 8 to 9 minutes, frequently stir the onions.
9. Once the onions become light brown add coriander powder, red chili powder,
turmeric powder and mix with the fried onions and fry for few seconds.
10. Add tomato puree and yogurt. With the tomato puree and yogurt masala become watery, turn the heat high for 2 to 3 minutes, so that water evaporates quickly and while keep stirring the masala frequently. Turn the heat down to medium.
11. In about 5 to 6 minutes tomato puree and onion will blend together. Once all the water has evaporated you will see the oil in pan. That means the masala is done.
12. Add chopped potatoes, fried wadiyan, salt and 4 cups of water and mix them with the masala, turn the heat to high for 3 to 4 minutes or until gravy start boiling then turn the heat down to medium low, cover the pan with the lid and let it cook. Stir periodically so that masala coats the potatoes and wadiyan all the time.
13. In about 25 to 30 minutes potatoes and wadiyan will become tender. Mash few pieces of potatoes that will make the gravy thicker.Add chopped green Chiles and chopped coriander leaves, once you have the desired consistency of the gravy turn the stove off.